Thursday, December 3, 2009

Quick question

Okay... as you know, I've been working on a list of upcoming vampire titles. I'm doing this for 2 main reasons. One, I'm neurotic and because of that I'd like to keep track of what's coming up so I don't miss any good books. Second, I'm trying to plan what books we choose for our Bite Club discussions.

Here's my question: How do you feel about Bite Club choosing a book already part of a series? What I mean by that is... would you prefer that we choose only the first book in a series, even if that title is older? Would you mind if the selected title was say, book 4?


For example, I've had many emails about the Sookie books. Many of the Bite Club minions have expressed interest in reading that for discussion. My dilemma is whether or not to pick book 1, or pick book 10 when it comes out.

What do you think?

8 comments:

Ida Brugler said...

Honestly, Some series you can read in any order like The Love Stakes,Dark Hunter,or Argeneau. The Southern Vampire series(Sookie) is really one that needs to be read in order. If people are asking for them they have probably already read them. So i would say go for the next book in May. And just put up Spoiler alerts before the discussion.

Jen D. said...

Hi Anna!

Normally I like to read series in order. If it's a series that doesn't have to be read in order then I don't mind.

Laura said...

So I like to read series in order because that way you get everything out of each book. With that said I believe anyone that loves vampires that much would have read the sookie books aready, right?

I can't wait until Book 10 comes out!!

Anonymous said...

What about other authors? Examples: Kerrelyn Sparks, J.R. Ward, Lynsay Sands. I would like to read the newest title from well established authors without leaving anyone out. Ya know?

I think for newer authors starting at book 1 is better, but I'm thinking of tying it in to a new release. So, we read book 1 in the same month as book 3 releases. Does that make sense?

I appreciate all the feedback because it is helping me make decisions about the blog. Thanks all.

Rain Maiden said...

I like to start with book one in a series too. It depends on the series though.

Daelith said...

I'm a stickler for reading in order. But as stated by Ida, there are some that it really doesn't matter. I'm with her on the Sookie series. You really have so much in previous books that contribute or tie into what is happening in current books.

Ida Brugler said...

Anna,
Hey it's me again 2 cents and all! LOL. Kerrelyn Sparks and
Lynsay Sands Books would be fine reading out of order due to each book being about(we won't say for those who have not read). I really do not think anyone who has not read others in The Love Stakes Series or Argeneau Series will be at a loss in the conversation. As for J.R. Ward I am not sure just bought my first book so i am no help there.

Shera (Book Whispers) said...

I have to agree with a lot of the other posts. Though it would be fun to follow a new title(s) as it is released.