Tuesday, May 4, 2010

First Lines, Arranged Marriages and Main Characters

Keeping in Bite Club tradition means that we open our discussion with our thoughts on the first line.

"I would rather be home dyeing my hair."

Right off the bat I was immediately curious as to what this person was doing, not that dyeing hair is boring (I change it up all the time) but the tone that was implied meant that the person was not too happy and I wanted to know why. After reading down towards the end of the page I quickly discovered the reason.

"Nervous? Is that what you call it? I'm marrying a freaking vampire, Bree. A vampire I've never met. A vampire I've been told is nine hundred years old. And in case you still missed the point- he's a vampire."

These comments set the stage for the next discussion topic...arranged marriage. The concept of an arranged marriage seems pretty primitive to me but serves as a handy obstacle in many romance novels. In Her Vampire Husband the purpose of an arranged marriage was to unite the vampires and the werewolves and bring peace to the land. A lofty goal to be sure, especially when you consider that each clan had some sort of ulterior motive.

Blu and Creed approached the arrangement from very different perspectives. Blu seemed dead set on having the marriage be in name only, no bites allowed, despite what the Council mandated. She also planned to return to her former lover and constantly referred to Creed by the derogatory terms, longtooth, bloodsucker and flesh-picker. Creed appeared to be more calm and understood the importance of having the alliance. He kept his personal feelings out of the negotiations, confident that he had the situation firmly under control.

So I ask you: What did you think about the first line, the introduction of Blu and Creed, and the idea of an arranged marriage? Did you think that peace would really be achieved by having Blu and Creed wed? What were your initial impressions about how this would work out?

2 comments:

Michele Hauf said...

I just have to say...when I started writing this, even I didn't know where it would go. I just had the idea that a wedding to begin the story would be so cool. And what if the two didn't like each other? In fact, hated each other, but only because that's what they'd been told to believe. But I knew, as soon as Creed saw Blu, things would get wild, fun and sexy!

Jeanne said...

After reading the excerpt on MH's website, I couldn't wait for the book to release. I loved the idea of an arranged marriage between a Vampire and a Werewolf. I think the story was told very well. I think my favorite part of the book was the night club scene when Creed fed in front of Blu. That was way too hot!