Friday, June 18, 2010

Saturday Shout Out

I'm so hopelessly behind on reading and grabbing up new books that I can't even talk about it anymore. I have 2 giant TBR piles that need to be dealt with and I have a list a mile long of books that I really want to read. So instead of carrying on, because who really wants to hear that, I'm going to tell you something super cool.

Have you ever heard of QR codes? They are 2D barcodes used as marketing tools throughout Asia and Europe, and occasionally here in the U.S. You find them on city buses, in magazines, on various products, even on headstones- they're everywhere! Want more information about Infinity by Sherrilyn Kenyon? Just scan the code on the back of the book!

Wikipedia, the Oz of internet information, has a much better explanation, but basically you download the code reader for your cell phone and use the camera to snap an image which will take you directly to a website. Essentially they are fancy hyperlinks!



You might remember that part of the ad campaign for Season 3 of True Blood was the release of this blood-red QR code, complete with drop of blood that led you directly to a sneak peek trailer. I think it's rather pretty.

I liked this technology so much that I made one for Bite Club! Well, my super cool husband figured out how to make one for me and then he put the scanner thingy on his phone so I could play around. He's nice like that! Michele put our new code on bookmarks/business cards for me, which is awesome, and I'll have those to send out in future contest mailings. Here's our code:

What do you think? Would you scan one of these codes? Do any of you have the barcode scanner for your phone?

1 comment:

Jen D. @ Not Now...I'm Reading! said...

I'm going to be honest and say I had no idea what these things were.

Thanks for keeping me up to date. I'll see if I can get the app for my phone and if it actually works. I'll keep you posted.