Thursday, September 16, 2010

Review: Married With Zombies by Jesse Petersen


From the Publisher:

Meet Sarah and David— a couple on the verge of divorce. On their way to marriage counseling, they notice a few odd things: a missing guard, a lack of cars on the freeway, and their counselor ripping out the throat of her previous client.

Now it’s up to David and Sarah to work together, save their marriage — and survive in the middle of a zombie apocalypse.

Review:
Zombies are gross and totally creepy so I was a little hesitant to read this book for fear of having nightmares for the next year or so. It's true. But I must like to be scared because I watch zombie movies even though they scare me senseless and I bravely put on my brave girl face and started reading my very first zombie book.

I'm so glad I decided to step out of my comfort zone because Married With Zombies was like reading Shaun of the Dead, funny and scary at the same time!

Some of the descriptions were completely whacked and left me with more than one disturbing visual. Vomiting black sludge was a total eww! moment, as was the image of a legless zombie dragging itself across the road. A few moments had me wanting to scrub out my brain so I wouldn't be forever traumatized by the thought of a therapist eating a patient, or a neighbor being bashed with a toilet seat. Okay, the toilet scene was actually kind of funny.

Sarah and David had issues but I loved how the zombie threat brought them closer together. Yes, they still bicker but they are committed to each other and also to fighting the zombies until the absolute end.

Some of my favorite lines/scenes are:

Beer.
F@#^ that sounded good.
Even though it was barely eight-thirty in the morning. But zombieism breeds alcoholism. It's true. Look it up.


and then,

These were times I was glad I had married a former Boy Scout. Those rope-tying skills had come in handy more than once during our relationship. What? Everyone experiments. Don't judge.

So if you want a good laugh and a fun-filled action adventure, give Jess Petersen a try. And to learn more about upcoming zombie books, or if you just want to send a zombie valentine...visit her website.

*This book was given to me by the publisher (Orbit/Hachette Book Group).
*Reviewed for Bite Club by Anna Dougherty.

2 comments:

Jen D. @ Not Now...I'm Reading! said...

Thanks for the review Anna. This book caught my eye when I saw the cover a few months back. Those scenes were pretty funny. I'll be adding it to the ever growing wish list.

Yolanda Sfetsos said...

Oh, I REALLY want to read this book! :)