Sunday, August 7, 2011

Spooktacular Sunday: The Ice Dragon by George R.R. Martin


As part of our ongoing feature that showcases books with bite for all ages I bring you The Ice Dragon. This book was originally published in 1980 but has recently made an appearance on store shelves again, no doubt due to the popularity of the hit HBO series Game of Thrones. I bought a copy for my kids mainly because I thought it might be fun to be reading books by the same author, at the same time.  My 6th grader son liked it but did say that it was too easy of a reading level for him, so I would stick with the publishers recommended reading ages of grades 3 to 5. My daughter looked at the cover and declared that she would like a dragon of her own, but who doesn't, right? This is the next book in her queue and I'm really excited to hear what she thinks of her first fantasy book. And it should be interesting to compare what my monsters thought because it's not often that they read the same thing, with the exceptions of Roald Dahl and Kate DeCamillo.


Book Description:

Seven-year-old Adara was born during the coldest chill of the coldest year ever, a chill that killed her mother during the girl's birth. Ever since then, she has been a remote and chilly child, living for winter when the ice lizards come out and forming a bond with a mysterious ice dragon. When war comes and dragon-riding invaders threaten her home and family, the ice dragon helps her to thwart them, leading to its own demise.

I found this cool video on You Tube that has George discussing the book. Check it out.


No comments: