Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Guest post and Contest with Traci L. Slatton

Let's all show some love for author Traci L. Slatton, who is here today to talk about her favorite paranormal shows. I love her choices and have very fond memories of watching X files each week, starved for the truth that I was so sure would be revealed and never really was. I didn't care much for the movies but I attribute that to my overly high expectations at the time. The show was the first television show that I remember talking about with friends, testing theories and plotting possibilities. And Mulder was so hot!

My current favs are Bedlam, Supernatural and Dr. Who. What about you? Leave a comment and you could win a copy of Fallen! This contest is open to US/Canada only. The winner will be chosen at random next week. Good Luck!






My Favorite Paranormal TV Show
By Traci L. Slatton,
Author of Fallen

This question posed a dilemma: do I choose The venerable X Files, because of Fox Mulder's dry, noble passion for the truth, so beautifully counterbalanced by Dr. Scully's crystalline, analytical braininess? Or do I vote for Torchwood, charmed as I was by Captain Jack's lusciousness, and the wacky humor that often made me giggle through my shivers of fear?


Unforgettable images abound in The X Files: remember the slimy fluke man, with his gaping, fanged mouth? Those remorseless, unslaked, sucking prongs still show up in my nightmares. And Eugene Tooms, slithering through the narrowest openings to feast on human livers. But then there's the pterodactyl flying around the Torchwood hub, and the malignant weevils slipping through the rift to torment the citizens of Earth. The episode "Immortal Sins" featured a brain parasite that caused insanity and intended to make Nazi Germany victorious.
In terms of setting, there's the question of Cardiff vs. Vancouver, which I personally think is six of one and half-dozen of another. Neither of those shows depended on place so much as they did on inventiveness, originality, spookiness--and well-drawn characters. In The X Files, Mulder had his heart-rending back story: the abducted sister, his guilt, his anguish over his parents' possible complicity, and his determination and frustration. Scully wrestled with the evidence her own eyes kept showing her, evidence that repeatedly contradicted the scientific paradigm that stood at the heart of her life mission. And how was she to integrate her own abduction by extraterrestrials? In Torchwood, Captain Jack was immortal, warm-hearted, dutiful, and pan-sexual. He fell in love easily but lost his paramours. Police constable Gwen Cooper agonized over what and how much to tell her fiance. She is humane and grounded, leading the life of an ordinary house-holder while fiercely battling the supernatural elements that attack our very existence. She leads a double life, and it takes its toll.


Alas, I shall have to ramble along both roads at once, and name two favorite paranormal shows.

Author Bio

Traci L. Slatton, 
author of Fallen, is a graduate of Yale and Columbia, and she also attended the Barbara Brennan School of Healing. She lives in Manhattan with her husband, sculptor Sabin Howard, whose classical figures and love for Renaissance Italy inspired her historical novel Immortal and her contemporary vampire art history mystery The Botticelli Affair. Fallen is the first in a romantic trilogy set during the end times.

For more information please visit http://www.tracilslatton.com and follow the author on Facebook and Twitter

5 comments:

SandyG265 said...

I don't really watch much TV these days. The first supernatural series I remember watching was the original Dark Shadows.

Lil said...

I haven't had a tv since our last move then found that the kids did homework much faster without one in the house. However, we have found shows online. Work means late nights and not so much opportunity to find shows so will simply be taking down a list here.

little lamb lst at yahoo dot com

ML said...

I don't have cable so I end up picking a lot of series up at the library so I'm a season behind on most shows. Current paranormal favs: True Blood, Walking Dead, Fringe, and Supernatural.

mljfoland AT hotmail DOT com

Vickie said...

I do love X Files. DH bought me the first six seasons on DVD for Christmas last year. It is one of those shows I can watch at any time. I love Torchwood when I remember to watch it. I need to DVD it, too. Capt Jack...sigh....

I love Supernatural, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, starting to dig on Grimm. I like Sanctuary, love Eureka, Warehouse 13, Haven, and Alphas.

I am looking forward to Dark Shadows the movie whenever it comes out. Johnny Depp....

VWinship at aol dot com

Carrie said...

I dont have any current favs but i did love Bewitched(the series)and the Munsters.