Friday, October 30, 2009

The Use of Vampire Lore

The legends and myths of the vampire can be used in many ways. Here are some examples of the many different versions that can be found in MBVR2:

1. In Paris After Dark, Jordan Summers uses the myth that without a sire to feed from a newly turned vampire (sanguis) will die. What myth do you favor for turning a human to vampire? * possible spoiler* Were you surprised by the identity of the killer? I didn't suspect a thing and spent the story "looking" for some random rogue vamp.

2. Blood and Thyme (Camille Bacon-Smith) uses the phrase "fixed on" to describe falling in love with a human/finding a mate. Once "fixed" blood from another source will not suffice. Do you think "fixing" on one human is a method to deter from human/vamp relationships or is it an example of the ultimate romantic ideal of one love, one blood?

3. In Blood Feud, Patti O'Shea tells the super hot story of star crossed lovers that meet again to solve a string of murders that can potentially start a war between races. Isobel is a vampire and Seere is a demon prince. In this story demon blood is poisonous to the vampire unless the demon fully consents to donating. Talk about the ultimate in trust! Another myth in the story states that until a fledgling vampire reaches 500 years old a sire can bend their will to his/her own. This creates some serious politics in the vampire community, not to mention the resentment brewing from those that are controlled. How do you think this effects the loyalty of vamps to their masters? Would you just bide your time until your powers hit and then seek revenge? Or would you accept that the rules and move on?

7 comments:

Sewicked said...

1. Oddly enough, I keyed in on the identity of the killer in Paris After Dark pretty quickly. I did so with admiration on how Jordan Summers handled it, quite deftly. For human to vamp transition, I favor the almost drained human, or at least fatally injured one, drinking the vampire blood. If only because it prevents just any vampire meal from becoming a vampire in turn (if you'll permit the pun).

2. I think that 'fixing' would work on preventing human/vamp relationships but what happens when the human dies? Can such a human become vampire & if so, what does that do to the relationship?

3. I think it depends on how the sire treats the fledgling. And how much control does the fledgling have? For example, is the sire's control vital to prevent the fledgling from killing indiscriminately, until she learns how to control her urges for herself? Would it be used to prevent the fledgling from committing some faux pas that could get him killed? Or does the sire bend the fledgling's will to control her like a puppet, for amusement?

Anonymous said...

Sewicked-

1. I also favor the draining and then drinking vampire blood method because the idea of just being bitten and turned disturbs me. Seems like the world would be overrun at some point. Jordan Summers twisted the lore around and I liked it. It's a good thing when the author explains the lore so that the reader doesn't question too much- keeps it believable.

2. The idea of fixing was romantic to me in the sense that I hope the human can be turned vampire and spend eternity with their one true love. However, I don't like the idea of no free will. I suppose the human can say no and the vamp can wither, but how romantic would that be? Maybe fate only chooses those that are capable of adapting.

3. There are very valid reasons for a sire to have control over fledglings and those scenarios work for me. I guess the puppet master idea bothers me. Again with the free will concept.

Michele Hauf said...

Paris After Dark was a surprise for me! I like it, and haven't really read any stories quite like it.

Cyd said...

1. I prefer the drain and drink method. I wasn't surprised by the identity of the killer, as soon as Jordan mentioned eye color I knew.
2. Sewicked answer is very similar to mine.
3. The loyalty of the vamps would depend on if the master is fair, just or a butt.

Patti O'Shea said...

I hope you don't mind me jumping in here. In Isobel's case (Blood Feud), her sire only bent her to his will once--to keep her away from Seere. Other than that, he never exerted that control, which is why she's saddened by the action, but not bitter or angry. Other fledgings have other experiences and react differently. So yes, it very much depends on the sire and how he uses this power.

Patti

Anonymous said...

I never had the sense that Isobel was angry about what her sire had done but I did wonder how it might play out with other vampires. Vamps have to make a lot of decisions based on what is good for the vampire community, which adds to the dynamics of any relationships they might have. I did like the poisonous demon blood myth- added an additional source of conflict for Isobel and Seere. She really had to trust him. It was a great story!

Patti O'Shea said...

Thanks, Anna! Maybe at some future point I can explore a vampire who had a sire who used the power without the same restraint. Isobel, though, was lucky.

Patti