Sunday, April 25, 2010

Q&A with Michele Hauf


The Craft

  1. What is your writing process like? Do you keep organized notes? Do you designate a set time for writing each day?

I usually start in the morning around 9, and take a break at noon, then if I can make it to 4 (time for Oprah!) I’ve had a good writing day. Toss in errands to the bank, post office, groceries, laundry, house cleaning, and well, that’s a day.
Initially, I don’t have notes. I like to write stream-of-thought for a couple weeks to get the whole story down on the page. VERY loosey goosey draft that I would NEVER let anyone read. Then I start taking notes to get more organization.



2. Do you have music that you listen to for inspiration? If so, what do you listen to? If not, what inspires you?

I can’t listen to music while I’m actually writing. I do when I’m editing. Otherwise, when I get in the car I crank the tunes and that always inspires me. I listen to anything (except Country) from Adam Ant to Adam Lambert, Metallica to Point of Grace, Disturbed to Miley Cyrus. :-)


3. How do you celebrate finishing a book?

Finishing a book? I sorta do the happy dance at my computer. I sit on a big exercise ball and so can get some good hip action going. Then I head to Target for a big bag of chocolate. :-)


4. Why did you choose the vampire as a character for your book?

I love vampires! I’ve been writing them since the early 90s, and will never stop!


5. What is easier to write- the hero, the heroine, or the villain?


For HER VAMPIRE HUSBAND the heroine, Blu Masterson just came so easily to me. Not sure why, because she’s the complete opposite of me. I’m very quiet, shy, never in-your-face. Blu is loud, proud and so colorful. Had so much fun writing her.


6. Favorite character that you have written?

Hmm, I really do have a soft spot for Himself.


7. Do you prefer to use the traditional vampire mythology or do you prefer to create your own myths?


I use some traditional stuff and then mix in my own. My vampires have a range in that some can walk in the sun (a la Dracula) and others are very weak, or cannot step into sunlight. They all need to bite and drink blood for survival. Garlic doesn’t repel them. The holy objects are only useful against a vampire who has been baptized. Unbaptized vamps are not harmed by crosses, holy water, etc. I like to toy with the coffin myth. My very first vampire hero kept a coffin in his basement for the novelty of it, and it was a nice peaceful place to rest.


General Vampire Questions

  1. Looking back in history, who is the one person you'd expect to find out was really a vampire? Why?

I always want Henri III (king of France) to be a vampire, and may try to write that story one day. He was one of the more interesting kings who in turns would be devoutly religious, and then madly sexual (he had many male lovers). His mother was Catherine deMedici, and his family was all pretty nutso. He was assassinated by a monk. Such delicious history to work with!

2. What would you want to say if you met a real vampire?

Don’t bite me! I really don’t want to become a vampire. And then I’d wonder what food they miss eating the most.


3. If vampires existed should they stay hidden, or reveal themselves?


Stay hidden! They’d lose all their delicious allure if they joined society and became commonplace.


4. Would you make a good vampire?

Eww. Blood? Nope. Not at all. But I could appreciate the immortality for the fact I could witness so much history. Now, as long as I had a good accountant and could support myself through the centuries...


Speed Round:

  1. Vampires- fangs or no fangs?
Fangs!


2. Blood- fresh, bottled, or synthetic?

Always fresh. It must have traces of the human soul in it to sustain.
3. Romance or Horror? Romance with a touch of horror.


4. One thing readers would be surprised to know about you?

I did not like Angel on Buffy. Bleech.


5. Favorite vampire book? Movie?

The Vampire Lestat will always be my fav. And of course, The Lost Boys is just so awesome.

No comments: