Saturday, October 16, 2010

iPad and Dracula: The Official Stoker Family Edition

Found this via Paranormal Bites, who grabbed it from  USA Today,  and since it fits right in with our Dracula Event I thought I'd share:


A new version of Bram Stoker's vampire classic is poised to emerge on the Apple iPad next week ($4.99). Dracula: The Official Stoker Family Edition is a Halloween surprise that mixes words, music and video-game-like features.

For the complete article, click here.

I think this is a really cool idea because it will bring a classic story to a new generation. Is Dracula the best vampire story out there? Probably not. It isn't the easiest book to get through because it's told in a completely different style than we are currently used to. But the book is definitely worth reading since most credit Stoker with bringing vampires into mainstream fiction and his story has since been reworked numerous times. I plan on discussing this subject more towards the end of the month but I would love to hear what you think.

What do you think about this new interactive iPad trend? Does this format appeal to you? Are you more inclined to read Dracula now that it has been revamped (pun intended)... again.

4 comments:

Angela Grace, author said...

I love the idea of an interactive Dracula. I would really enjoy seeing my own vampire books in interactive form. Until that day, I will definitely be showing this to my fifteen year old to inspire her to read the classic.

Jen D. @ Not Now...I'm Reading! said...

I think any technology that entices people to pick up books or read more is a good thing.

Anonymous said...

I love this idea and hope that more authors go this route. I will always be a traditional reader, as in I want to hold my book while curled up on the couch, but I do think that reading and technology can mix. My Kindle is amazing and this story has kept my iPad dreams alive:)

I know that other authors have done games for their books and I'd love to try them. Nora Roberts did one for the bride series and I think for a JD Robb title too. And not too long ago Marjorie Liu did a game for Tiger Eye.

Has anybody played these games?

Anonymous said...

And btw, how cool is it that Marjorie Liu writes Dark Wolverine graphic novels? I learned that during the chat for the Tiger Eye game release.