Friday, November 5, 2010

Review: His Darkest Embrace by Juliana Stone

Book Description:

A solitary hunter with no regard for the human world, Jagger Castille is a shifter living on the edge. It will take the woman who calls him enemy to give him a reason to live.
Jagger is a creature of the night—Skye Knightly soars in the sun. Natural adversaries, they have been joined by destiny in a mission entrusted to Skye’s family centuries ago: Nothing less than the salvation of the Earth.
Wounded and bitter, Jagger sought escape in the solitude of the jungle, driven by a need to disappear forever… until a mysterious shifter who calls to his soul and feeds a yearning long forgotten, pulls him from his dark path. A courageous warrior, Skye’s passion is equal to Jagger’s own—but can she trust a man on the edge? A man whose secrets are as devastating as her own?
Each is the other’s sole hope for survival. But a dark and twisted truth is leading them toward the ultimate sacrifice for a love they may never live to claim.

Review: 

This book grabbed my attention right from the start! Just look at this gorgeous cover. Who doesn't want a little waterfall sex? And that model is seriously ripped and insanely sexy. I quickly lost myself to the story and by Chapter 4 Skye and Jagger were steaming up my Kindle bigtime and the attraction between them was palpable.

Jagger has a complicated past- losing people in Iraq and Afghanistan has been haunting him and as a result he opted to remain in his animal form for an entire year...until he encounters Skye. She tempts him back to his human form. Jagger is 100% warrior, a true Alpha male, but he also has an emotional depth that draws you in. He doesn't understand why he feels so strongly towards Skye but he trusts himself enough not to ignore it. She is his redemption.

Skye on the other hand is much more stubborn and doesn't accept the help of a jaguar easily. In fact, she tries very hard to avoid him, and his offers of help, at all costs- regardless of her intense attraction. Skye is also seeking redemption and doesn't want to fail her people in the mission to save humanity from untold evil.

I loved this couple, and I loved this story! The story moves along at a rapid pace with lots of twists and turns and it was very easy to stay involved. The secondary characters were also well done, especially Julian, and His Darkest Salvation, the next Jaguar Warrior book is already on my shopping list- for next July! I am very impressed with this new author and need to go back and read book one in the series (I had zero trouble following the story despite having never read book 1).

Books in this series:































More information, including guest appearances, book signings and more can be found at her website and blog. Happy Reading!

http://julianastone.com/

http://julianastone.com/blog/

*Reviewed by Anna for Bite Club
*My review copy of this book came via NetGalley.

2 comments:

Mandi said...

I skimmed your review because I am reading this one soon, but glad I can read this as a stand alone..I didn't read the first :)

Jen D. @ Not Now...I'm Reading! said...

Got to meet Juliana during New York Comic Con. She was really fun during the panel I attended and I ended up picking up this book during her book signing. Haven't had a chance to read it yet but, it looks like I'm in for quite a treat.