Sunday, September 25, 2011

Review: The Cowboy and the Vampire by Clark Hayes and Kathleen McFall


Book Description:

Reporter Lizzie Vaughan doesn't realize it, but she has 2,000 years of royal Vampiric blood coursing through her veins. Neither she nor Tucker, her cowboy lover, has any idea that Julius, the leader of the undead, has a diabolical plan to reign over darkness for all eternity--with Lizzie at his side.

Lizzie battles for her life--and her soul--as she and Tucker find themselves caught up in a vampire war, pursued by hordes of Julius' maniacal, bloodthirsty followers.

Who will be left standing when the sun rises?

Review:

This is a tough one for me because I never could connect with the characters all that much, something that I find critical to reading any type of book, and I also found that some of the story felt disjointed. Since I'm not a fan of bashing books...I'll just tell you that while this book might not have been right for me, it might be right for someone else. 

It might just be that I don't understand the cowboy way of life, being a city girl and all, but I thought Tucker lived a very strange life and I didn't see the attraction. Despite that, I actually liked Tucker more than I did Lizzie, the reporter-turned-vampire. She just seemed shallow to me and it wasn't until the second half of the book that I began to see her in a more flattering light. Tucker might not be your usual alpha hero but he's a cool guy all the same. They would have been better served to make this a novella length story because I think that might have fixed the pacing problem, at least for me.

So, if you like cowboys and vampires then stop by the author's website and check out The Cowboy and the Vampire and decide for yourself.

No comments: