Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Guest post with Jessica Sims

I hope you haven't all overdosed on Halloween candy because I have a fun guest post from author Jessica Sims about why she wears the crown for least cool PNR author. Me, I think these might actually be a reason why her latest book is so much fun...different muse + different inspiration = a totally different reading experience. Both Jenny and I enjoyed Beauty Dates a Beast and we think you will too (already looking forward to the next book).




100% True and Embarrassing Confessions of the Least Cool Paranormal Romance Author

Paranormal romance tends to be a fairly dark genre. How can it not be when you’re dealing with things that go bump in the night? Vampires? Ghosts? Ghouls? Demons? Not exactly light fare, right?

And a lot of the time you’ll notice that authors encourage this ‘darker’ mood. They wear sunglasses in their photos. They listen to music by Godsmack and Slayer (or something) to get in the mood for writing darker fare. The favorite movies of a paranormal romance author? “Interview with the Vampire” or “Underworld” or “Blade”.

And while these are all really awesome, I am sort of…not like that. I wish I could sit here and tell you that I’d written my last book to the soundtrack of “Queen of the Damned” but I’m afraid it’s a little more embarrassing than that.

So without further ado here are the top 10 reasons why I am the Least Cool Paranormal Romance Author:

1) I wrote my last paranormal romance to Taylor Swift…
2) …and Katy Perry.
3) I like Buffy the Vampire Slayer. You know, the one with Kristy Swanson and Luke Perry, not the one with Sarah Michelle Gellar.


4) I don’t own sunglasses. In fact, I even like the sun.
5)  I cross myself when I pass a graveyard, and I certainly don’t investigate them!
6) The thought of visiting a haunted house fills me with terror.
7)  The last time I was at an ‘edgy’ club, some old guy wearing his shirt unbuttoned to his navel and too many gold chains hit on me. He was fifty or so. I was eighteen and wore a fluffy pink headband in my hair. I haven’t been back since. I’m pretty sure I’m still scarred.
8) I think Bloody Marys are GROSS.
9) I can’t remember the last time I saw a full moon. Bedtime is 9:30 at night, yo!
10) I wear black a lot, but it’s only because I’m lazy. Black matches everything!

So there you go. If there was a test for paranormal romance authors, I’m pretty sure I’d fail it. I’m not even sure I could be mysterious. But that doesn’t mean I can’t write a nice, funny, romantic book about people that go bump in the night, right?
...Right?


Author website here.

No comments: