Thursday, February 16, 2012

Review: All Things Wicked by Karina Cooper

Juliet Carpenter thought of the coven as family, but when she falls for a man who betrays them all, she’s left alone and desperately searching for a reason why. Caleb Leigh has spent the past year in hiding, unable to escape his demons. When Juliet finds him again, her need for vengeance clashes with the hunger still burning between them.

It’s a fight born from the embers of a half-forgotten attraction and the wounds of a past too raw to ignore. With enemies circling and secrets threatening to consume them, Caleb has no choice but to fulfill a promise made long ago—protect her, save her. Even if it costs him his blood, his body … and what’s left of his mind.

Review:

I'd like to start of by saying that I read this book in one afternoon, cramming in reading time between housework and kid events, which is saying something because lately I can barely find time to breathe, let alone read. I had the chance to read Lure of the Wicked a number of months ago, still need to review it even, really enjoyed the combination of action and romance, so I was looking forward to seeing how things played out in this one. Although I like Lure of the Wicked better, I wasn't disappointed by this installment at all.

All Things Wicked brings Juliet and Caleb front and center, and despite how they first meet, again, things get hot real fast. They have a past, a sordid connection that makes their lust even more complicated, as if being hunted by the bad guys wasn't enough. Juliet believes that Caleb has betrayed her, I won't say why, and Caleb is keeping a very difficult secret, and I won't share that either. I enjoyed the exchanges between them, even the ones that didn't involve kissing and touching, and found that they complimented each other quite nicely.

Caleb is a protective type guy that isn't afraid to kick ass, even when that means he must make the hard choices. Whatever it takes to protect the ones he loves, that's fine by him. Juliet is more delicate than that but not in a wimpy way, although it took me awhile to get that about her. At first, she seemed easily manipulated, almost like she just accepted that her role wasn't to be a warrior chick or anything, but she eventually learns that witch powers do not a woman make. She still wears her emotions more obviously than others, just not in a weak way, and she is forced to deal with some real doozies. These nuances of her character made her more real, and I was able to see why Caleb wanted to protect her. The romance isn't easy by any standards, something that adds to the action packed storyline.

My only complaint would be that at times I wanted the action to move along and let me get to the secondary plot, or secondary characters. Mission Director Parker Adams and the uber mysterious Simon Wells, for example. I wanted more of that political secret spy element, because quite honestly, I can't figure out who is betraying who, and why. The Holy Order is supposed to be the bad guys, but they have more leaks than that wiki site, and I suspect more will be revealed in that area. All Things Wicked has something for everyone, part thriller, part action, all romance.

I wouldn't call this a standalone title simply because you get a lot of information thrown at you concerning previous characters and storylines, something I enjoy in such a complex world, but that might make new readers confused. So do yourself a favor and start at the beginning.

Author's very cool website:
http://teatimeiniquity.tumblr.com/

Books in the series:
Before the Witches (prequel)
Blood of the Wicked 
Lure of the Wicked
No Rest For the Witches (novella 2.5)
All Things Wicked

Reviewed by Anna Dougherty
This book was sent via the publisher for reviewing purposes


No comments: