Sunday, April 4, 2010

Nyx and her marks

"I am known by many names...Changing Woman, Gaea, A'akuluujjusi, Kuan Yin, Grandmother Spider, and even Dawn...But you, Zoeybird, my Daughter, may call me by the name by which your world knows me today, Nyx."

Zoey first meets Nyx in a vision, after she has fled her house and sought refuge with her Grandmother. Much is explained and questions arise. As we learned from Zoey's initial encounters at The House of Night, and her subsequent meeting with Neferet, having a complete mark is unheard of for a fledgling.

"Zoey Redbird, Daughter of Night, I name you my eyes and ears in the world today, a world where good and evil are struggling to find balance."

Why do you think Nyx chose to Mark Zoey in such a way? What is it that makes her so special to the Goddess? Is it her Cherokee heritage or something else? Try to use your impressions from the beginning of the book and compare them to any answers you get from the end.

No comments: