Monday, January 31, 2011

Monday at the Movies: The Witches of Eastwick (1987)

I might be the only person in the world that didn't know that this movie was based on the book by John Updike, but hey, you learn something new every day. And now I have yet another book to add to my TBR mountain, only I think I might wait for a Kindle version. Back to our movie...

This is one of my favorite movies, mainly because it is just so much fun. The scene where Felicia pukes up all those cherry pits, or when the witches make the voodoo doll. Love it!  And Jack is a most wonderful devil, charming when necessary but wicked from the inside out. And I just love Susan Sarandon's hair.

Summary:

Three single women in a picturesque village have their wishes granted - at a cost - when a mysterious and flamboyant man arrives in their lives.


Quotes (may contain explicit language):

Alexandra: I think... no, I am positive... that you are the most unattractive man I have ever met in my entire life. You know, in the short time we've been together, you have demonstrated EVERY loathsome characteristic of the male personality and even discovered a few new ones. You are physically repulsive, intellectually retarded, you're morally reprehensible, vulgar, insensitive, selfish, stupid, you have no taste, a lousy sense of humor and you smell. You're not even interesting enough to make me sick.

Daryl: Men are such cocksuckers aren't they? You don't have to answer that. It's true. They're scared. Their dicks get limp when confronted by a woman of obvious power and what do they do about it? Call them witches, burn them, torture them, until every woman is afraid. Afraid of herself... afraid of men... and all for what? Fear of losing their hard-on. 


Daryl: Do you think God knew what He was doing when He created woman? Huh? No shit. I really wanna know. Or do you think it was another one of His minor mistakes like tidal waves, earthquakes, floods? You think women are like that? S'matter? You don't think God makes mistakes? Of course He does. We ALL make mistakes. Of course, when WE make mistakes they call it evil. When GOD makes mistakes, they call it... nature. So whaddya think? Women... a mistake... or did he do it to us on purpose?

No comments: